As a member of the Green Mountain Library Consortium (GMLC), Peacham Library provides free access to downloadable audiobooks and eBooks. You can download up to three books at a time, each for seven or 14 days. If you don’t own a computer or have a slow Internet connection at home, come into the library to download them. The software is already set up on our computers.
Before you begin, have your patron number handy. It’s the eight-digit number on your library card.
If you have questions or need help, just ask the librarian on duty.
To download audiobooks or eBooks:
- Go to http://www.listenupvermont.org/.
- Click sign in on the link bar below the GMLC logo.
- Select Peacham Library from the alphabetical list of libraries.
- Enter your eight-digit patron number, and then click Login.
- To find a book, type the title or author into the Search box in the upper right-hand corner, or browse the available titles by clicking the genre links on the left side (Audiobook Fiction, Kids & Teens, and so on).
- When you find a book you want to check out, check the lower right-hand corner of the description to see if it’s available. If it reads add to basket, the book is available. If it reads join waiting list, you’ll need to wait for the book to become available. Click join waiting list if you want to place a hold on the book.
- To add the book to your basket, click add to basket.
- When you are done selecting books, click Proceed to Checkout. Otherwise, click Continue Browsing to look for more books.
- Select the lending period (seven or 14 days), and then click Confirm check out.
- If you haven’t previously downloaded audiobooks or eBooks with our system, you need to download the software that enables you to listen to or read the books. For audiobooks, you download Overdrive Media Console. For eBooks, you download Adobe Digital Editions.
- Click the link in the book entry to download the software you need, and then follow the directions to set up the software. You need to download this software only once unless you are installing an update.
- Click Download. This opens the software and begins the download process. If you’re downloading an audiobook, you can download all or only some parts of the book at a time. You can always return within the lending period to download the remaining parts of the audiobook. eBooks download as a single file, so you don’t need to select parts to download.
KINDLES — When you are checking out, click on the “Get for Kindle” link. You will then be directed to Amazon.com to redeem your public library loan. You may be required to login to your Amazon.com account .
After you download an audiobook, you can listen to it on the computer or transfer it to a portable device such as an iPod or MP3 player. Some audiobooks can be burned to CD.
After you download an eBook, you can read it on the computer or a portable device such as an eReader, including Kindles.
You don’t need to “return” the books you check out. Audiobooks are checked out for the entire lending period; you can’t return audiobooks early so that you can check out another one. On the other hand, you CAN return eBooks before the lending period ends so that you can check out additional items.
Last updated September 25, 2011